While in Cancun, Weikai and I stayed at the Hotel Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort, an all-inclusive resort located on a beautiful, white-sand beach on Kukulcan Boulevard on the main hotel strip in Cancun.
While the resort has mixed reviews by its guests, Weikai and I really liked it. Here are the pros and cons.
- Everything is included. It's all-inclusive, so meals, drinks, room service, everything is included. No need to go out to any of the overcrowded bars or restaurants to shell out too much money, just stay in!
- They're always cleaning! The place is spotless. They squeegee everything -- the floors, windows, tables... it's kind of crazy. I didn't know the squeegee was so popular in Mexico!
- The staff is nice. We didn't encounter any rude or obnoxious servers at all. Such a rare occurrence in New York, so it was a nice change!
- The beach is pristine. White sand, blue water. It's heaven.
- The views are amazing. We stayed on the 9th floor. As you can see from the photos above, we had a lovely ocean view.
- The TV has English and Spanish channels.
- They had a smoothie bar! (Unfortunately, it closed at 5pm every day)
- The wines and champagne are of substandard quality. They all tasted like rubbing alcohol.
- The service is often very slow. We tried most of the restaurants and experience long waiting times at most of them. The only restaurant that I really liked was the buffet near the lobby. It had a large variety and practically no waiting times for seating. The other restaurants had long waiting times for both seats and food. No bueno!
- Room service can be slow as well. The average waiting time was quoted at 45 minutes, but we often waited longer.
- There were definitely some immature spring breakers. One particular group of drunk guys by the swim-up bar was carrying a few naked blow-up dolls. They were "interacting" with the dolls (but nothing too awful), even though there were people of all ages around. So disturbing.