Monday, February 23, 2009

The French Paradox and Red Wine

Monday, February 23, 2009
Above: My friend's 21st birthday party!

I've always wondered why everyone says that a glass of red wine a day is a healthy choice, and today I found out! It was based on a study known as "The French Paradox".

"The French Paradox" refers to the coincidence in France of lower-than-average mortality rates from cardiovascular disease and higher-than-average consumption of saturated fats, such as butter and cheese. In 1991, before 35 million American TV viewers, Doctors Curt Ellison and Serge Renaud presented research findings that attributed the phenomenon to the beneficial effects of the higher-than-average consumption of red wine. And obviously, red wine sales in America jumped dramatically after the airing.

I haven't quite committed to a daily glass of wine yet, but I'm considering! (And I must confess I'm a sucker for Sangria!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment